With the coldest weather right around the corner in the Cleveland area, many homeowners will be looking for ways to add extra warmth to their homes by using portable space heaters. According to the National Fire Protection Association over 10,000 home fires are caused by heating equipment.
Here are some tips from the Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI) to avoid becoming a victim of a heating equipment related fire.
1. Keep all combustible materials a minimum of 3 feet from heat sources.
2. Always turn off space heaters when unattended and while sleeping.
3. Space heaters should never be plugged into an extension cord.
4. Cooking stoves should never be used for heating or drying clothing.
5. Ensure that you have working carbon monoxide detectors on every level of your home and place the near bedrooms.
6. Space heaters should be placed on the ground, never on furniture or shelving.
7. Have your heating system inspected annual by a qualified technician.
9. Never use space heaters or any appliance with a broken or frayed cord.
This post appeared first on https://www.cloverelectric.com